STEAMSHIPS, SCHOONERS AND THE SBH WHARF
The South Blue Hill area flourished because of a steamship line that made regular stops at the South Blue Hill. The Blue Hill Lines, founded in 1881 by Captain Oscar Crockett, made regular stops at thirteen towns. In 1904, the Eastern Steamship Co., took over and brought in cargo and took out hens and cases of eggs. Eels were put aboard the steamers; pulpwood was piled on the wharf until it could be loaded on two-masted schooners. The wharf was the spot for boats bringing in newspapers for local delivery. The Wharf has seen many upgrades and improvements over the years. To be added: David Gray’s report.